Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My True Self

I'm not quite sure how to answer a question like, "Who are you, really?" This question seems to be one that attempts to limit a person to just a few characteristics. I, rather, like to let my actions speak for myself. I'm who you think I am, probably. But I'm also probably many different things from what you might see me as. For example, I give off a "quiet" vibe. People might describe me as quiet or shy just because I don't like to talk when it's not totally necessary. However, I feel that when I do have to say something I say it and stand by whatever it was that I said. I'm not really an opinionated person, so for me to feel strongly about something I need to have good reason to feel that way. I will, therefore, argue my point to no end.

For as many people as there are that think of me as quiet, there are also those who know me much better and whose opinions I would respect much more who would describe me as perhaps loud and/ or annoying. I do enjoy conversation if I really have something to talk about that I know a lot about. More often than not, my discussions involve music. I could talk about the music that I like for AGES. The extent of my musical appreciation includes so many varying genres, it's kind of ridiculous, really.

I feel that my values may define "me". I value intelligence, honesty, stability, talent, care, trust, and many other noble traits that people can have. This defines who I WANT to be, but not always who I actually AM. I guess that my social self looks for these traits in others, thus defining who I am in relationships with my peers. However, if these factors are not found in my peers, they can be redeemed if they are nice to me. Over all else, I value kindness. This is one of the biggest factors for me in choosing my friends. If the person is nice to me AND possesses my aforementioned traits, they are instantly put very high up on my scale of friends. I love people like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment