Thursday, January 14, 2010

Persuading Others

When attempting to persuade others of my opinions or for them to let me do what I want I usually use truth as a means by which to gain their trust. I feel that my opinions are normally based on facts, so this makes them easier to get across to other people. If I am trying to convince my parents to, say, let me stay out a half hour later, I usually just ask, they reply, and I go with what they say. They are usually quite agreeable, and some form of compromise can be easily worked out. Now that I actually think about it, I never really have a need to persuade them. I feel that they trust me, and they feel that if I want to do something it is something that will be beneficial for me the best sense possible. I, too, can agree with them. If they want my homework done before I go anywhere, I do it, and I don't question their authority on the subject. I know that they just want what is best for ME because they want to see me become a successful individual in all manners of life. They support my social ventures, but they balance this with my schoolwork.

However, if they need to, for some reason, punish me, they will not hesitate to take away these rights. I can attempt to argue the matter, but their minds will most likely be set on one way that things will be handled. If I do succeed in persuading them, I don't really think that much effort must be applied. If they decide to give me a pass to do what I want, they have already decided to do so, so I don't need to argue and bicker with them to convince them or sway their opinions. So in general, I don't really have strong opinions to have any real need to argue my positions. I feel, nonetheless, that if a situation arose in which I had to argue my position, my argument would be logical, reasonable, and persuasive.

No comments:

Post a Comment