Sunday, April 18, 2010

Family

My family is hilarious.  When we get together, all of us, comedy is sure to ensue.  We're always trying to sharpen our wits.  Our memories are sharp, and we always employ inside jokes from our pasts.  We do make fun of stupid things that other members of the family have done, but we all know that it's just in good fun.  This humor is one thing that we all have in common, and I am really glad that that's how it is. 

Another thing that we all have in common is our love of food.  We are true gourmets, all of us.  We like going out to eat and trying new things.  It wasn't always this way.  My brother and I were the pickiest eaters as children.  Lately, I have started being more and more open to new flavors and ingredients.  This has provided me with many new outlets with which to relate to my family.  I just love talking about foods and flavors.  If you think about it, food is something that all people have in common.  People, naturally, need to eat.  Therefore, practicing this discussion of food with my family provides me with more social skills down the road. 

My whole family, close and extended relatives, are very artistic.  Most of all, we are musical.  I have three cousins whose college majors deal with music.  I play saxophone, my mom is a band director, my brother plays trombone, my cousin is a prodigy of the flute, my other cousin is a successful percussion and music major at the Manhattan School of Music, my OTHER cousin will be attending Western Michigan University this fall and majoring in Music and Bass, and my OTHER cousin plays the oboe and was marching band drum major in high school.  My other relatives who do not play instruments have, what I judge to be, fantastic tastes in music and art.  Basically, we're just really artsy people, and I really like being a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment