Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Decisions

Decisions. We all make them, don't we? It is a completely necessary aspect of life. However, everyone has a different process by which they make their decisions. At one extreme, people check every aspect of something before they decide how they will react to that thing. On the other end of the spectrum, some individuals do things without thinking at all. I tend to have a middle-ground type of view on this subject. I do think about what I am doing when I decide something, but I also try to maintain some sense of spontaneity in my actions. Sometimes, I feel, it is necessary to go with your "gut feeling". Often times, I will think of an answer to something only to change my mind quickly and be wrong. I then find out that my first answer was actually correct. This scenario, to me, rationalizes a first-instinct based decision. However, this only works if a person has a good enough view of things for their first instinct to be correct. Sometimes people need help in their decisions because they have no clue what would be the best choice for their circumstances.

On the logical side of my decision-making, I view things the same way that one might view a multiple choice test. I set up several options for myself. One option, always, will be the one that is the most far away from what I will eventually decide to do. I employ this option to help keep my mind in check of what is right and wrong. A few options after this will still remain. I can use either a logical runthrough of all of the possible outcomes of each option, the advice of my friends, or a spontaneous method seeing as none of these choices will be the worst possible scenario (see above). When going through a runthrough, I have a semi-flash forward as often seen in literature. It is a truly weird experience. Sometimes I even just zone out completely while thinking of the consequences of my actions. I feel that my friends can give some very reasonable advice sometimes, and even if they don't, they give me ideas of exactly what NOT to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment