Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Groundhog's Day

Groundhog's day hold, I guess you could say, a special place in my heart. First of all, it is the birthday of one of my closest friends. There's actually an interesting story involving his birthday in 2008. Another friend of mine, in an attempt to make my birthday-ed friend mad, decided to go vegetarian on Groundhog's day. This was purely meant to anger the friend, but it didn't even begin to achieve its goal. It's kind of funny actually. And he is still a vegetarian. Haha.

Also, this holiday is the inspiration for the movie "Groundhog's Day" with Bill Murray. I love that movie. It is so interesting and awesome. For those who don't know the concept of the movie, I will give a brief synopsis. Bill Murray, an inconsiderate jerk, is a news reporter sent to cover the story of the groundhog seeing his shadow. Stuck in the town due to a harsh blizzard, Murray's character wakes up the next morning to find that it is once again Groundhog's day. This cycle continues throughout the movie until he changes his ways and continues on to February 3rd. Throughout all of the repetitive days, Murray begins to not care about anything. He does such things as robbing a bank and driving his car off of a cliff, only to wake up the next morning back to another Groundhog's day. After what I would guess is at least a year of the same day, Murray realizes the errors of his ways. It really is an interesting concept. It makes you wonder, "What would I do if I could live the same day over and over?"

Regardless of the fact that I don't really believe in the whole "Six more weeks of winter" thing dealing with the groundhog's shadow, I still want to know if he saw it or not. I'll always look it up or at least ask someone else if he saw it or not. It's just a weird tradition-type thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment