Sunday, March 14, 2010

2010 Winter Olympics

I love the winter Olympics. Unlike the summer Olympics, these games involve many daring, dangerous, and death-defying events. This is highly exciting to watch. You are forced to the edge of your seat, cheering for your country, but most of all, cheering for the whole world. This year was the first year in which I could truly grasp, understand, and appreciate these games. I would have to say that the sport that I watched most was Curling. I know, this contradicts my love of the dangerous sports, but being a logical and intelligent person, I love games of strategy such as curling. The curling in these Olympics was very well televised, perfect for my first year of true understanding. The matches were ALWAYS on on either CNBC or MSNBC at my house. Women's, Men's, American, or not, I soaked up every bit of the sport that I could. The whole concept of the game, guarding, how the scoring works, the actual 'curling' of the stones, the whole concept of sweeping the ice, is all just so interesting to me.

I think of all of the curling that I watched, I had two favorite matches, the first of which being the men's final between Canada and Norway. For one, the Norwegians had probably the coolest pants ever known to mankind (http://estore.websitepros.com/1957025/-strse-1456/Dixie-dsh-A/Detail.bok). Beyond that, both teams produced spectacular shots all throughout the match. Even with both teams on the absolute tops of their games, Canada was just such a dominant force that Norway had no chance of winning. It is truly inspiring to see such dominance in sport.

My second favorite curling match was the first that I saw in all of the 2010 Olympics. This match was between the female teams from Canada and Denmark. For several years I have been somewhat intrigued by the Danish people as a whole. Thus, I was immediately glued to the television screen when I saw that this match was on. The Danish women pulled out some absolutely incredible shots, but once again, Canada was a dominant force in this game of finesse and strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment