Friday, March 5, 2010

Preparing for the ACT

I feel that the preparation that I need for the ACT should come from what I learn in my classes. I mean, it is a standardized test. It tests what we SHOULD be learning in school. The only thing that I feel would be necessary to prepare for is the format of the test. This involves taking practice tests and other such actions so as not to be totally surprised going into the test. I feel that my teachers are doing a great job of showing me the format of the test. Mrs. Williams is probably the best at pounding into our heads the test's layout. We take practice tests almost every day of class, and over these practice tests I have become much faster and much more accurate in my mathematics. I usually get all of the questions right and with much time to spare. Before these practice tests I would have much trouble finishing in the time allotted. Now I am much more confident in my answers allowing me to go faster. Just the constant repetition and practice of these test taking skills has helped me to feel prepared for the Math portion of the test.

As for science, I have heard that the whole test is just reading graphs and charts and applying that information. Through my science courses in High School, I feel that I am an effective reader of such graphical analyses. I feel that I can do quite well when tested on these graphs. I have checked this off of my list of ACT preparations.

I am taking the English test for WYSE, and I feel that this is good preparation for the ACT. I have been doing quite well on them, too. I feel pretty confident in my multiple choice grammar test-taking abilities. I guess that I'll check this portion off of my list as well.

I think that I am a decent writer. However, my argumentative writing is not incredibly effective. I'm not really the most opinionated or argumentative person that you'll ever meet, so I find it hard to effectively argue my points. We have been writing ACT style essays in English class recently, and I think that I am getting better at it. I'm not really certain, though. This is probably the area that needs the most work, still.

No comments:

Post a Comment