Thursday, November 12, 2009

Logic and Resoning vs. Emotions

I feel that using logic and reasoning is much more effective than emotional reasons for any argument or other situation. I believe that emotions can skew one's thoughts and/or actions in a big way effectively rendering their argument inaccurate or false. Using logic or facts is much more reliable in that it is the truth. Truth will triumph, in my opinion.

As seen in my previous blog "True Colors(?)", I am a green personality: Analytical, intelligent, logical, etc... This backs up why I like to use logic in debates or arguments. However, there is a downside to my necessity for facts in such events. I feel that if I don't have something that is 100% fact to contribute, I can't contribute at all. This scares me into not talking. It doesn't help that I'm also an incredibly shy person. When these two traits are paired, it's really hard to get me to contribute to conversations in classes or with my peers. I don't know why I'm still scared of conversation after all these years because I have found that when I actually do contribute my ideas, people are accepting. I usually offer a completely different perspective to the subject. I really should try to come more out of my shell and just talk. Who knows? I may become a sparkling conversationalist if I really set my mind and actions to this.

Also along with my green personality comes a definition of why I don't like emotions used as argument mediums. In fact, it quite literally is defined with exactly what I just said. Emotions don't make sense. I just try to avoid them altogether and stick to the facts.

So, I guess my main reason for not liking emotions in argument comes from my need for factual information. This can also be seen in my school work. I LOVE math and science mainly because calculations won't like. It's completely objective. Emotions could be compared to Social Studies classes or English classes. These sort of classes are subjective to the judge of whatever is being judged. In historical events I have trouble seeing any of the things that we read about as anything but propaganda made by the textbook company. A neutral party, such as, say, mathematics, try to force anything at me that isn't true. Also, history can be interpreted in many ways. The same applies to emotions. Some people may side with your feelings, but others may just judge you and say that you're wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment