Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Biggest Fear

Really, lots of things scare me. I think my biggest fear is forgetting something really important. I do this a lot, though. This can be as simple as forgetting my calculator for math class, or as big as, I don't know, say, forgetting my instrument for some big band competition. Okay, I've never done anything THAT drastic, but I have forgotten my instrument at times that we were supposed to play. I hate forgetting my book for class. It's one of the worst feelings ever. I'm really scared of the walk of shame while getting up to ask a teacher if you can go to your locker to get the book. Mrs. Williams, who I love as a teacher, scares me to death when I forget something. She has a way of turning the usual, "Go get it," into something that makes you feel extremely guilty for what you have done, a seemingly innocent slip up. To cope with this fear, I usually just pretend that she's being sarcastic. I laugh it off and go on with my day. She can be a sarcastic person, so this is a somewhat fitting lie to myself.

I think that the absolute worst thing that I have ever forgotten was a project for driver's ed freshman year. It was a big project, but I just completely forgot about it until 5:30 the morning that it was due. I scrambled to finish it in the morning, but it was just too big of a project. I ended up failing it and getting a C for the first quarter the class. However, I really worked hard the next during the next quarter. Somehow, through a stroke of great work habits and organization, I pulled off a 117% for the second quarter. Then, I aced the final. Somehow, my semester grade came out as an A. I was very surprised. That one forgotten project led to all of the unnecessary extra work that I had to do, and this has helped to shape my fear of forgetfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment