Thursday, November 12, 2009

Reading for Entertainment

I know people who hate reading books that are assigned in school. For some of these people it doesn't even matter if it's a good book or story. They just don't like the idea of reading things that they aren't allowed to pick. I used to feel this way, but in the past two years I have liked just about everything that we have read in school. One work that really stood out to me that I thoroughly enjoyed every page of was George Orwell's Animal Farm. It was such a clever application of a real life story to talking animals. It was like a fable in its use of lessons and talking animals. Also, I really enjoyed Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth, of which I preferred Macbeth. It was amazing. It utilized very dark psychological themes in showing the downfall of someone who was once very successful.

What I enjoy reading often reflects the music that I like to listen to. Namely The Decemberists. THEY ARE SO GOOD. Phew, got that out of the way again. Anyway, Colin Meloy, with his degree in creative writing, probably enjoyed the same type of literature when he was in school that I enjoy now. It is reflected in his lyrics and themes. Many of his themes deal with merritime events, a subject that I enjoy reading about. His songs of this variety really make me feel like a pirate. Let's reference this link. This song reminds me of Moby-Dick. I just got the same general effect from the excerpt of the story that we read and this song. Either one makes me really happy. His lyrics are a form of literature that I like reading, honestly. They're so well thought out and structured. I don't know, I just love everything that he has ever written. He often reflects the dark themes that I enjoy reading about. Honestly, I don't know why I like these dark themes. I not a very mean person.

No comments:

Post a Comment